BE THANKFUL FOR SF
There are a few things we should be thankful for this
- We should be thankful that a few individuals in the 1950s, came up with
and pushed the concept of Special Forces.
- We should be thankful that JFK had the fore-thought that SF had a future
in the U.S. Army.
- And letís be thankful for those SF soldiers who through their courage
and innovation, started from scratch and led the way through a new type of
warfare in Vietnam and Laos from 1957 to 1973. This was accomplished not
only while battling the known enemy, but elements within our own army, which
looked down on these un-conventional types.
- Letís also be thankful that the army didnít listen to the many anti-SF
Generals and Civilians that sought to downsize or de-activate SF.
- We must be thankful too all those Officers and NCOs who over the last 28
years have set standards, and assured that these strict standards were
upheld. Without these standards and leadership, the war in Afghanistan would
have been a quagmire. Also during this period they have performed thousands
of missions around the world without fanfare.
- And last but sure as hell not least are those SF troop that are conducting
the war Afghanistan tonight. While the Navy is enjoying their turkey and
pumpkin pie floating out on the Persian Gulf, the Air Force is enjoying
theirs at a secure airbase and the Army will have theirs after they pull
maintenance on their M-60A1 tanks, which are non-deployable to Afghanistan.
Some SF troops will be up on a cold ass Afgani mountain spotting targets and
grinding a field ration, while others will be on the windswept plains,
trying to persuade some indig to do something that he doesnít want to do
while eating a piece of goat and some flatbread, . Hell, theyíve doing it
for years. These fine soldiers didnít join the army for bennies, or an
education, they joined for action.
From us "Old Farts" we are proud as hell of the job youíre
doing and congratulate you on introducing this new form of warfare, that so
many self proclaimed experts in the past couldnít foresee. Have a Happy
Thanksgiving wherever your at, you ainít gonna forget this one.
Woody Woodworth SFA